February and March means its the unveiling of Spring/Summer fashion collections all around. Yet it is rare that I get to experience a new brand. However that is precisely what happened a few weeks ago when I got a preview of the Koton Spring/Summer 2014 collection at Story Dubai at the Holiday Inn.
I’ve spotted Koton in almost every mall in Dubai but hadn’t quite ventured in. Koton is a homegrown brand launched in the Middle East and headquartered in Istanbul, Turkey and part of the Landmark Retail Group umbrella. Thus unlike most international brands, Koton takes a Middle East-first approach instead of adapting international lines to local preferences. However, they still manage to bring runway trends to you at affordable prices.
Koton’s Spring/Summer 2014 collection features a fun and fresh vibe but also plenty of basics that you can build your wardrobe with. What I noticed mainly was despite being an affordable brand, the fabrics and cuts gave a luxury vibe to all the pieces. This collection featured four focal areas:
- Monochrome – black and white pieces enhanced with pops of color and featured with jackets, dresses and shirts.
- Riviera – a nautical-inspired collection with basic colors of blue, white and nude plus embellishments of ropes, stripes and anchors.
- Denim – available in every finish and format, this is great for a casual and chic look.
- Safari – statement animal prints in dresses, tees and shirts.
- Tribal – print and embroidery are mixed together for statement pieces that are highlighted with leather and suede textures, embroidery, pompoms and tassels.
- Ladylike – this was my favorite and features a romantic mix of pastels and florals. This is perfect for the upcoming hot summer season.
Another reason to pay a visit is their accessories collection that features some glamourous statement pieces at very affordable prices that are perfect for those who like to add a pop of color to every outfit. And in case you have the boy or kids with you, Koton also features a menswear, kidswear and youth collection called Ole.
Koton is located in malls across Dubai, with their flagship stores being in Mall of Emirates and Dubai Mall.
A side note about the venue Story Dubai. I managed to pay a visit there a few months back when it was an “undiscovered” venue and it didn’t disappoint this time. This bar/lounge is located on the rooftop the Holiday Inn in Knowledge Village. While the location might not seem very glamourous, the view is breathtaking and unrestricted of the Palm and Jumeirah beach. Plus they do delicious cocktails and South American cuisine. I highly recommend you pay them a visit!