Update: I compiled a Store Directory for The Beach with a breakdown of what is open and what is opening soon for your convenience.
For those of you living outside of Dubai, the title of this post might be misleading. This isn’t a photo diary of the picturesque Dubai beaches (though you can see glimpses of it here), but it features Dubai’s newest mall – “The Beach” development by Meraas at JBR (Jumeirah Beach Residence).
Being a JBR resident, I’ve been tracking the progress of the construction hoping that whatever came up would add instead of take away from the urban beach locale. After a quick tour, I’m excited about this new development that will bring a new retail and food outlets to this area. Unlike most of Dubai’s malls, the layout is a strip mall concept (very popular in the US) meaning you’ll be enjoying the outdoor weather as you do your shopping. If you’ve been to the other new mall in town – Citywalk in Jumeirah – the vibe is very similar: an urban industrial chic finishing with wide walking areas and an eclectic mix of stores.
Couple of things I’m excited about:
- The cinema –
not sure if this is a Vox, Grand or Reel Cinemas operation,but it’ll be nice to avoid having to drive to catch a movie. Update: the cinema will be operated by Reel.
- The outdoor cinema – behind the beach is a large screen with comfortable outdoor seating which is a new concept in Dubai, apart from Wafi’s Rooftop Gardens.
- The outdoor gym – with exercise machines, a running track and a kid’s gym, this reminds me a lot of LA’s Venice/Muscle Beach.
- The eateries – don’t expect the mainstream ones as most the eateries seem to be new to the citybut I’m excitied to have Aprons & Hammers so close. Other ones that caught my eye are Leopold’s of London, La Cure Gourmande, Operation Falafel, Eat Greek, and Sushi Art.
- The stores – I know there a million malls in Dubai but the retail offering at The Walk has been poor so far so it’ll be nice to have a larger selection. I spotted a very cutely titled Sauce-on-Sea and a little birdie has told me Sephora will also be opening here. Perfect for last minute gift shopping!
- The parking – having friends over in JBR can always be a nightmare but the new development has underground parking throughout with easy access via escalators and elevators.
- And of course, the beach – I’m not much of a beach person as I prefer the pool, but I think this will help clean up the area. There seem to be showering facilities that will make it more convenient for visitors but expect it to get packed as demonstrated already by the number of people at the soft opening. And I love the gigantic sandcastles that have been installed!
As of now, only about half of the new development has been opened to public and
none of the food or retail outlets are open yet a handful are already open – visit the Store Directory for updated information. I’ll keep you posted here as I see some progress. In the meanwhile, have a look at my photo diary. Advance pologies for the lack of mesmerizing photos – I’m not much of a photographer and these are quick snapshots courtesy of my iPhone 4S.
To stay posted on the latest updates from The Beach, find them at the following: