Continuing on with the 2012 Beauty Awards, today we discuss my favorite – lips! In case you missed the previous segments:
WINNER: Tom Ford Lip Color in Casablanca & Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Dragon Girl – I’m a lipstick junkie so it’s no surprise that there are two winners for this category.
Overpriced, yes. Worth the price, most definitely. Tom Ford lipsticks are what I’d call the gold standard in lipsticks. The packaging is luxe and the formula is impeccable. I also found the perfect lipstick shade for me in Casablanca. My only crib – there are very few stores that sell Tom Ford Beauty. In Dubai, check out Harvey Nichols.
I feel like I finally grew up with beauty this year as I embraced red lipstick and for the perfect red pout it has to be Nars Dragon Girl. The pencil means application is easy and the formula lasts through several glasses of wine. I usually wear it matte but for a bolder look try with a layer of gloss on top.
- Nars Schiap – It’s really unfair that Nars is no longer sold in the UAE and I really hope it makes a comeback in 2013. Schiap is the perfect bubblegum pink and the matte finish makes it easier to wear. I have backups of this one, just in case they ever stop selling it.
- MAC Lady Danger – This completes the bright lipstick trio. Not for the faint hearted, this red-orange works great on olive skin tones.
WINNER: Buxom Lip Polish in Margarita – Disclaimer, I’m not a lip gloss junkie and tend to use one clear gloss with all looks. This was an impulse buy to test out a lip plumping formula. I love the tingly feeling and the slightly extra touch of fullness it brings to the lips. Works great when paired with any of the Nars Velvet Matte Pencils.
- Tarte LipSurgence Lip Tint in Enchanted – Great for the understated lip. I keep this in my work bag as a backup for makeup emergencies. Again, not available in the UAE but I’ve heard Clinique Chubby Sticks are a good alternative.
- Dolce & Gabbana Passion Duo Gloss Fusion Lipstick in Iridescent – One may argue this isn’t a lip gloss but the balm, lipstick combo gives a glossy effect and it lasts longer than the traditional lip glosses.
- Clinique Almost Lipstick in Black Honey – An old favorite. They recently launched the Almost Lipstick formula in a range of colors but Black Honey remains my favorite. The perfect shade of MLBB (my lips but better).
WINNER: Jack Black Intense Therapy Lip Balm – A favorite of renowned beauty blogger, Temptalia, I could finally see what the fuss was about. Easy tube application and a formula which doesn’t build-up but still moisturizes. Especially great is the SPF 25 formula. Unfortunately another brand which isn’t available in the Middle East. Fun fact – this brand is geared towards the men!
- Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment – One of the those samples that I’ve grown to love. The scent is amazing and it’s found a place at my bedside table. Comes in tinted colors too. Also, not available in the UAE.
- Kiehl’s Lip Balm #1 – The only lip balm available locally that I like. Comes in a basic unscented version but doubles up as a cuticle cream as well.
I’ve only used one lip scrub so far but I love Lush Mint Julips. The minty sugar mix makes my lips feel amazing and tastes delicious during accidental ingestion.
Next up in this series are my picks for Best in Nails.